Sunday, March 07, 2010

Hummingbird Friends Card

by Sharon Jeffs

I first found scrapbooking through a card making company in 2001.  A close friend died suddenly and I was at a loss to deal with it.  Another friend suggested scrapbooking as my means and I’ve never looked back.  Since then I have played within a great many mediums and tend to love working  with whatever makes a mess.  I love trying out new ideas and will often try them out with my students in my class to see what others think.  My favourite medium besides all things bling would have to be glimmer mists although I recently bought some of the new Smooch spritz’s to try.  I have an absolute passion for all the tools and serious organisation strategies.  In fact if there was anything I could say that I couldn’t live without in my creative area then it would definitely be organisation!!

Perhaps soon you won't want to live without the wonderful projects from FranticStamper's Design Team. I am so excited to be posting the first of the regular Frantic Stamper Design Team projects and really look forward to the rest of the year!

Hummingbird Friends Card


Materials


      Hummingbird and Dry Flowers from Tim Holtz Nature set. (ST-CMS001 $19.95)
      Friend Text from Tim Holtz Tattered Elements set.( ST-CMS018 $19.95)
      Ranger Alcohol inks
            Copper Metallic Mixative (RAN-Alc-kit-GS $9.99)
            Espresso (RAN-Alc-essp)
            Pesto (RAN-Alc-pesto)
            Bottle (RAN-Alc-bottle)
      Range Distress Crackle Paint
            Rock Candy (RAN-DCP-rock $4.59)
      Stazon Jet Black Ink Pad (TSU-SZP-Jet $8.49)
      Tim Holtz Distress ink Pads –
            Antique Linen (RAN-DP-Linen $5.00)
            Vintage Photo (RAN-DP-Photo $5.00)
      Mini Brass Brads (Box of 200 $8.99)
      3D Square Foam Dots (BC-foam-lgsq $2.99)
      White card
      Neutral shaded card I used Bazill - Rio De Janero (BAZ-3-354 $0.59/sheet)
      Acetate sheet
      Prima Heirloom Paper Leaves – Olive (PRI-HPL-532246 $3.99)

Instructions

      Cut card to the following dimensions –
            Neutral cut to 5 1/2 inches by 11 inches and folded in half.
            White cut to 5 1/4 by 5 1/4 inch square and 3 1/4 by 2 1/4 inch piece.
            Cut acetate to 5 1/4 by 5 1/4 inch square.

      Add a felt pad to your blending tool and place a couple of drops randomly over the surface from each of the four colours of alcohol ink .
     

      Pat down onto the acetate. The colours will swirl and blend together as you pat along the surface.
     

      Continue to pat and add colour to the felt pad until you get the desired outcome you like. I prefer mine to swirl together into variations of large and small colour blotches to give a very earthy feel.
     

      Once dry, use a Stazon pad cleaner or a few drops of Metholated Spirits and rub some of the ink back so that you are left with random sections of your acetate still coloured. I took most of the ink off of the left side for stamping.
     

      Stamp with the Dry flowers over the left side with the Stazon Jet Black stamp pad, I stamped the design once again much lower to bulk up the design.
     

      Stamp the Hummingbird close to the Dry Flowers stamps then turn the acetate over and using a fine brush, add detail to the bird using the alcohol inks. I then turned back to the front of the acetate and brush on some of the Copper Metallic Mixative to the tail and wing section.
     

      Once dry, attach to the white square of card with 4 brass brads in each corner. Put aside.

      Using the 3 1/4 by 2 1/4 inch shape, stamp the Friend text using Stazon Jet black ink. Once the ink has dryed, place onto a scrap of acetate to help you with blending. Attach a Foam Blending Pad to your Blending Tool and ink up with the Antique Linen ink.
     

      To blend smoothly begin by placing the blender down onto the scrap of acetate and gently move in a circular motion over the acetate and card. Continue until desired colour is achieved without unnecessary ink lines on your work.
     

      Ink the Foam pad with the Vintage Photo ink and darken up the edges of the 3 1/4 by 2 1/4 inch piece in addition to the front of your card.

      Finally, coat the 3 1/4 by 2 1/4 inch piece with a coat of the Rock Candy Distress Crackle paint and put aside to dry thoroughly. Rub over with Ink and Blending tool once more to highlight the cracks.
     
      Use Foam Dots to attach this piece to the bottom right corner of the acetate piece, placing a few leaves under the left edge.
     
      Attach to the front of your main section to complete.
     

Thanks for coming by today! I hope you’ve enjoyed my project and you'll give it a try!

11 comments:

  1. Barbara L.8:51 AM

    A beautiful card. I'll have to try these techniques again. We tend to forget the good stuff like acetate and alcohol inks when we go on to the latest whatever. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great project! I love to read how to do things that I have not tried before. Will definitely try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon - This is awesome - love the wonderful directions. Will definitely try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely beautiful...the colours blend so well together...I will have to give this a try one day...will be following to see what other great projects you will post...thanks for sharing it with us.
    Have a stampin' good day.

    Stampin' HUGZ
    Beverley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon you are amazing! What a lovely card and wonderful technique that you shared! Thanks for the tutorial, I want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:42 PM

    Wonderful! A beautiful card and all the directions. And best of all, links to the products I don't have! Great job and more to come, even better!
    Thanks so much for doing the Fran and all the team!
    Velda S

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon, I absolutely NEED those stamps now. What an absolutely stunning piece. I'm inspired to create.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love this card!!! I will definatly have to pull out those alcohol inks one day soon. I tend to forget about them and really do love using them. This technique is great and I love the idea of "clearing off" the one side of the acetate. Wonderful inspiration!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. scrapspirit@att.net5:15 AM

    Wow! I've never tried brushing on alcohol inks and am eager to see how it goes. Thanks for the very clear instructions. It's gorgeous!
    Sue Painter

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is wonderful Sharon!!

    ReplyDelete