Friday, October 12, 2012

Ranger Vintaj Patina Inks (DT Product Review by Linda Phinney)



I recently had the opportunity to play around with some of Ranger's Vintaj Patina inks.  The colors used here are cinnabar, clay, and ruby.

These are permanent inks for non-porous surfaces.  All the videos  I watched on YouTube showed using the patinas with the Vintaj line of metal blanks, charms, and embossing folders, none of which I initially had.  A friend suggested I cut up an aluminum can to use the inks on.  That coupled with my Cuttlebug  Floral Fantasy embossing folder, made the base piece so I could use the patinas. 



There's a bit of a learning curve using the inks.  They dry quickly, so you have to work pretty fast to get good coverage on your metal without it getting blotchy.  The ideal situation is to have all your lower areas of your metal piece covered with the inks.  The higher areas will be the color of the metal (aluminum or brass, etc…), exposed in the process by sanding.  The more I played with the inks, the better I was able to achieve the effect I was looking for.



Here's another example using aluminum blanks.



I also tried the patinas on some metal charms.



I finally bought some of the Vingaj brass blanks and by far the best effect was achieved here where I made a necklace with the charm. (I used the Sizzix Patchwork Texture Fade for embossing the metal.)  This final piece is also coated with the Vintaj Patina Glaze which adds shine and protects the metal and the inks.


1 comment:

  1. These are beautiful!!! Love what you did with the embossing folders!!

    ReplyDelete