Sunday, May 11, 2014

Victorian Birds (Lis Whiting)




Victorian Birds
by Lis Whiting

Hi everyone!  I was working on card ideas today and thought I would make a card using some new papers that I got from Graphic 45.  Their papers are so nice, such a Victorian feel.  I decided on lavender as the main color because that seems to emulate the Victorian era to me.  I found this really great lavender stripe paper that reminded me of wallpaper.  I had some purple suede paper and used that as the mat, and used an ivory card base.

I have a Martha Stewart punch that is extra large. It's a challenge using this one on my cards because I usually only work in A2 size.  Today I decided I just had to use it!  I cut my card so that it would fit the punch design and punched the side of the card. It came out ok but I decided a second layer of the punch in lavender would be a good idea.

I also use gold as a secondary color.  (I even used some gold bling!) I cut out the Frantic Stamper birdcage die and a couple of birds too.  You may not have noticed but the flying bird is actually the negative cut into the lavender pattern paper. It's not layered on top.  The burgundy bird sitting on the cage is a separate piece of paper. I did this to create some dimension.

I wanted to have an open bird cage door.  I did it by using one of the die cut pieces, using mounting foam and reattaching it.  It looks very cool! You can see in the picture below how I engineered it.



I left a place on the card for a sentiment which I haven't added yet.

Thanks for stopping by!


***Materials for this project can be found at www.franticstamper.com

Products used:

2 comments:

  1. Lis, before I even read your write-up the paper reminded me of Vintage wallpaper! Beautiful! I love working with the foils and having the door open on the cage is very pretty! Thanks for sharing, love the feel of the card!��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Lis, the colours look so pretty together.

    ReplyDelete