Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sketch Sunday: Scrap #1



Today's sketch is intended to be a scrapbook sketch. I rarely (ok... never) scrap, but I am still enamored with the layout, texture, and line of scrapbook pages, and find that often things I see in scrap pages can translate to my card making. I find good scrapbook pages inspiring!

I love books. I love the way they look, the way they smell, the way they feel. I could lose myself for hours in a good book store. So I guess it isn't surprising that I am also inspired by books; I have found that book jackets can be a wonderful source for my creative juices. Today's layout comes from just that... a book jacket. The texture of the brick wall, the colors, and the layout all attracted me to this cover. I thought it would be wonderful to translate it to a layout.



I started with a fairly literal translation of the photo, using the table in the photograph as a dividing line between two different photo blocks.



I see this layout used as a birthday or anniversary page with the age or the number of years together in the little yellow square on the right, and photos of the event in the three spaces... with journaling where indicated. But then I also saw it as a sports page layout with a team and an individual photo, with the uniform number in the square and team record in the journaling. What do you think? I'd love to hear your ideas.

I then decided I would like to see the sketch with a little less literal color scheme to see if it would open me up to more possibilities. I ended up with a blue theme that I liked a lot (which would not surprise anyone who knows me, since I am often quoted as saying "I like any color as long as it is blue.")



This scheme made me think of ocean breezes and summer days. I could see photos of a day of sailing, or perhaps photos of family sitting on a white sand beach with white caps breaking in the distance, or of a child making sand castles.

What do you see when you look at the layout? What other color schemes do you envision? How are you inspired? Please leave a comment and let us know.

If you use the sketch we would love to see your creation! Upload a photo somewhere (Flickr, Picasa, Photobucket, etc.) and then share a link with us in the comments. To share all you need to do is add the following codes to your comment, and then replace the word "link" with the actual link to your photo:

      <a href="link">My Page</a>

Your comment will then contain the words "My Page" which will link to your photo. The design team really looks forward to seeing your work!

Until the next time,
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment