Friday, December 13, 2013

Cardinal on Holiday Tree (Kathy Berger)



Cardinal on Holiday Tree
by Kathy Berger


I just love how well the Frantic Stamper Precision Dies work with dies from other manufacturers. This card is a PERFECT example of that. The branch and bird are Frantic Stamper dies but the ornament and the bow come from Memory Box. I think they work in perfect harmony and hope you agree!

This card has a couple of special techniques on it that I would love to share. First, I want to tell you about the shimmery ornament on the card. To make it I cut the ornament shape in the front face of my card and cut a matching ornament out of green patterned paper using a Memory Box ornament die.

Next I placed my opened card face down on a non-stick sheet, then on the inside of my card front I affixed a piece of clear packing tape over the hole cut by the die (the non-stick sheet is really important so that the packing tape will stay sticky AND not attach to something accidentally). I turned the card over and poured transparent glitter over the packing tape. I burnished the glitter into the adhesive on the packing tape and shook off any excess. I then taped the green patterned paper to the inside of the card front, lined up with the hole, using another piece of packing tape. I then glued a piece of card-stock to the inside of the card front to line the whole front.

The second technique I wanted to share was that the die-cut bow was modified to suit my design. When cut normally, the bow is at the top of the string, but I wanted the string at the top of the bow. After cutting as usual, I simply (though carefully) cut the string part of the die-cut away from the bow and glued it in the preferred orientation. Die-cuts don't have to be used exactly as they come out of the die!

And lastly, in the same vein of modifying die-cuts, I cut the feet off of my cardinal die-cut (which can also be used as a jay if colored blue, white, and black instead of red!) because I wanted him to be resting on the branch, not standing up on it.

I hope you have enjoyed the card.

Smiles,
Kathy


Products Used:

No comments:

Post a Comment