Saturday, September 20, 2014

Dangling Bones (Kathy Berger)

Dangling Bones
by Kathy Berger

I recently spent a couple of days with Fran at Hero Arts as guests of the wonderful owners. There we got to make cards designed and taught by some of the industry's best designers, including none other than Jennifer McGuire. One of the cards we made was a suspension card for Christmas (I will be sharing Jennifer's cards with you in a post after the first of October), and it sparked this idea for a Halloween card. Thank you Hero Arts for hosting this fabulous educational event, and Thank You, Fran, for taking me with you! I loved it and came home feeling inspired!

On to that inspiration...

First I die cut the hole in my card front and top layer (held together with a touch of washi) with a Spellbinders rectangle die. I set the card aside and worked on the front panel. I clear embossed it using the Frantic Stamper Cling Rubber Stamp, Fleur de Lys Background (FRA-CLG-4711), and then spritzed it with gold perfect pearls in water and set it aside to dry.

Next I cut two of my skeletons using the Frantic Stamper Precision Die, Dem Bones Skeleton (FRA-Die-09237) using heavy card-stock.
I glued the two sets of bones for the extremities together to give them more strength, then using a needle and thread, I pierced them and stitched them together with a single stitch per pair, and knotted the thread well. I put a small dot of glue on the knots in the thread to ensure they wouldn't come undone.

I put a piece of strong tape from top to bottom, centered on one of the torsos and placed a strong piece of thread on the tape. I then added glue to the rest of the torso and affixed the other torso to the first, sandwiching the thread between them. When finished, I stitched the arms and legs into place.

I used foam tape along the inside and outside edges of my top layer of the card and a small piece of the strong tape to attach my Dangling Bones by his central thread to the card panel, inside the diecut hole. I then attached the panel to the card front, taking care to align the holes.

A bow made with the Frantic Stamper Precision DIe, Large Swirl Paper Bow (FRA-Die-09243) and spritzed with the gold mist (Perfect Pearls in water) finished off the card front.

Next I masked off the inside of the card and HEAVILLY spritzed the right inside of the card with the gold mist. and let it dry (okay... I am impatient so I did help it along with my heat gun!)

The finishing touch on the inside of the card was a plain black saying cut with the Frantic Stamper Precision Die, Large Trick or Treat (FRA-Die-09235).

I hope you have enjoyed today's card. This one was a labor of love...and well worth the effort!

*** Materials for this project available at Stamper Products Used:


  1. totally fun.. love that skeleton..

  2. Wow Kathy, great movement in the card! Great for Halloween!