Thursday, August 20, 2015

Out of this World (Kathy Berger)









A couple of days ago Fran got a request from a customer asking for a card and instructions using the Flip Card #1 die.

The Flip Card die is a very versatile die. In the next few days I will show you three different ways I have used the die, with detailed instructions of how I used it.

For this first card in the series, which is a standard 4 1/4"x5 1/2" card, I wanted to center the cutout on the card front. To make it really simple for me to make this kind of card (with the cutout centered on the front of a standard card) I created a guide out of scrap card stock. I made the guide the same height as my card (5 1/2") but only half as wide (2 1/8"). I then marked one edge of the card 7/8" from each end. You can get a copy of my guide here.

(To come up with the 7/8" I subtracted the length of the die from the height of the card (5 1/2" - 3 3/4" =1 3/4"). That gives me how much space is left over once the die is placed on the card. Since I want to center my die I would need to divide that left-over space in two equal pieces and put the die between them. 1 3/4" divided by two is 7/8".)


My card blank is 8 1/2" x 5 1/2", scored at 4 1/4", but left flat.

I line-up my guide with the top and left edge of the card, and then place the die at its edge, in between the two marks, and tape it into place.



I then ran the card through my die cutting machine. When done cutting, I used my Scor-pal to finish scoring my card along the line scored by the die, at the 2 1/8" mark, being careful not to score across the cut-out portion.



Now, for this particular card I wanted to create a field of stars, so I used my starfall die on the right side of the card. I glued a piece of yellow card behind the right side of the card, and then another piece of black behind that.



It was finally time to fold my card. First I valley folded the card on the center score line, and then mountain folded the score around my cutout.



I reinforced the folds with my bone folder, making the card lie flat.



All that was left to do was decorate the card. I cut extra yellow stars for my project with the Starfall die.

I cut my "aliens" using the Monsters die and white card stock. I stamped their corresponding image onto them, and colored them. I set them aside.

Using an old Stampendous clear stamp set called "Hot Rocketz", I stamped rockets and flying saucers onto white card stock. I colored the images, fussy cut them, and set them aside.

Using my largest plain circle die I cut a circle. I colored it gray with my Copics and added a small crater to it. I glued the circle in place on the inside of my card and trimmed the circle so it was flush with my card's bottom edge.

I glued my rockets into place. I cut a small slit in the saucer and inserted one of my monsters into the slit. I glued the saucer into place. I glued two more of my monsters in place. (It turned out I only had room for three of the four monsters, but that is okay, I'll use the other on a different project sometime.) I added google eyes to each of the monsters' eye(s), and a banner to the hand of one of the monsters.



I stamped my sentiment (from the same Stampendous set).

I glued on a few of my extra yellow stars on the front and inside of the card.

Ta Da! I hope you agree that this card is just "Out of this World"!




If you would like a little more help on using the die in this manner, I have a little video for you. Please don't mind my voice. We have a lot of smoke in our little valley because of all the wildfires, and the smoke has really irritated my throat.




*** Materials for this project available at www.franticstamper.com.
 
FRA-Die-09567
 
FRA-Die-09614
 
FRA-Die-09585
 
FRA-CL-018


1 comment:

  1. Awesome Kathy! Love the Spaceship idea!

    ReplyDelete