Saturday, July 10, 2010

File Folder Birthday Wishes

by Kris Hankins


File Folder Birthday Wishes

I’m always in need of “masculine” cards. I created this vintage looking “file folder” birthday card that is just a bit “out of the box” and was a lot of fun to make.

Materials

  • Paper and Cardstock
    • Kraft Cardstock
    • Cream Cardstock scrap
    • Tim Holtz Paper Stash, Lost and Found Paper Pad     ( ADV-THPad-92825   $14.99)
  • Stamps
    • Though I used a different stamp, one from Tim Holtz Going Somewhere would work well     ( ST-CMS090   $29.95)
  • Inks and Embossing Powders
  • Embellishments
    • Tim Holtz Idea-Ology Mini paper clips     ( ADV-TH-92791   $3.59)
    • Watch Parts, small jar     ( watch-parts     $4.99)
    • Large Clock Hands Assortment     ( large-clock-hands   $3.50)
    • Two Mini Brads, brass     ( CR-BR-Gold   $4.99/box of 100)
    • Metal Token/Coin
    • Black Dymo type labels (For You)
  • Tools

Instructions

  • I started off with an 8.5” x 5.5” piece of kraft cardstock.
    Using Tim Holtz’s File Tab die, I cut a file folder tab at one end of the cardstock.

    TIP - I wanted this cut to be nice and straight, so I first evenly measured it and then attached my cardstock to my die with low-tack drafting tape.
              It has just enough stick to hold the cardstock in place, but doesn’t leave any residue or damage paper.


  • Using my Martha Stewart Score Board, I made two score lines 1/8” apart, at 3 5/8" and 3 3/4", across the center of the card.



    I also rounded all four corners.


    When the card is folded in half it looks like an authentic file folder would look.


  • I stamped the front of my card with a vintage “telegram” stamp using dark brown chalk ink.
    To give it an old/worn feel, I lightly stamped it on the cardstock so that it left some parts of the image missing.


  • My favorite purchase lately was Tim Holtz’s Paper Stash - Lost and Found pad.
    It is awesome!
    It is 36 pages of double-sided paper that is FULL of wonderful paper designs and images.
    I cut the calendar page, vintage photo, clock face, and check copy from the papers in this pad.


  • I gathered up some embellishments which included a clock hand/parts, Tim Holtz mini paper clip, metal token/coin and black labels that say “for you”.

  • I wanted to age my file folder so I started by distressing the edges with Rangers Distress tool and sanding areas lightly with a sanding block.
    Next, I distressed the images by tearing, sanding, rolling, and folding them.
    I stippled them lightly with dark brown fluid chalk ink.
    “Birthday Wishes” was stamped on the calendar page.


  • I stippled the file folder using Tea Dye Distress Ink and a touch of yellow ochre fluid chalk ink. I made sure I did the inside and outside of the folder.

  • Stamp a favorite birthday sentiment on a piece of cream cardstock.
    I used burnt sienna fluid chalk ink.
    Add two mini brads to the left end of sentiment and attach to the inside of the file folder card.
    This looks like an old document that has been stored in the folder for years.


  • Add the “for you” label to the folder tab.

  • To the front of the file folder attach your paper elements. Glue on your clock hand and watch pieces, token/coin, and mini paperclip.

Now you have a fun and “different” birthday card to give to one of your favorite men.

1 comment:

  1. Great card...just love all the details:) tfs

    ReplyDelete