Tuesday, June 11, 2013

American Red White and Blue Card (Lis Whiting)




American Red White and Blue Card

by Lis Whiting


With July 4th coming quickly, I wanted to create some cards with the new Frantic Stamper Mix 'm Match USA Precision Die set.  I love the set. It includes a Bald Eagle, a star, "America", a flag and USA with stars in a block. Just super!

I started out with a bright red card base ( 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 inches) in card stock (of course).  I added a navy blue piece of card stock (5 1/4 x 4 inches). I used the eagle die and cut out my eagle on this card stock.  I also cut out one in gold and one in silver.

To make my eagle:
  1. I turned my blue card stock over to the back side.
  2. I placed the gold eagle die cut in the hole created by the die cut, and taped the gold eagle in place (kind of like when taping iris folding
  3. I used the silver cut-out pieces from the silver eagle die cut I made to fill in the cut out spots in the gold eagle and taped these down too.
  4. NOTE:  I took a red Sharpie pen and colored the one silver piece over the nose (nares).
  5. Once everything was taped down, I turned over my blue cardstock and there was my eagle! (I wanted to make my eagle stand out so I used gold, and the silver was to imitate the white feather son the head of a bald eagle.)



I cut a piece of Anthem Peace paper about 1 1/2 x 5 1/4 inches in size, and added it to the bottom of the blue card stock.  Then I added some gold glitter photo corners to the top corners only. I adhered the blue card stock to my card base.

For my stars:
  1. I die cut three stars on a navy blue piece of card stock. (Note that these are shapes cut into the paper and not die cuts in the sense that they are little squares - yet!)
  2. I got out my 1 1/2 inch square punch and turned it over to the back side.
  3. I slid each of the cut out stars into my punch one at a time and punched them out, leaving about a 1/8 inch border.
  4. I edged the outside borders and the inside star edges in gold so they would stand out better.



I mounted my stars onto my card using a single square of mounting tape in the middle of each star. (The card stock was stiff enough that I did not need to add any other mounting tape.)

I finished my card by adding the word "America" (Included in the die set!) die cut in red foiled card stock to the bottom center of my card.

hope you enjoyed my card today!

Lis


Products used:

No comments:

Post a Comment