Tuesday, April 16, 2013

With Sympathy (Kathy Berger)




With Sympathy
by Kathy Berger


Sympathy cards are just hard for me to make. I seem to block every time I need to make one. But lately I have just needed to make a lot of them. I lost an aunt and an uncle, a neighbor, and a friend in the past couple of months, and friends and extended family have also lost people near and dear. So I have been struggling to get cards done for those who deserve my condolences.

This is one of the cards I came up with. It is a card that I felt could be used to send to either a man or a woman, and it is one I could replicate fairly easily, so it will be a "go to" design.

To make the card I started by die cutting some flowers out of Eclipse masking paper using Flowering Border Vine die from Memory Box. I removed the flowers from the backing paper (a little tricky since the piece is a bit delicate and fragile), cut them into three pieces, and placed them onto the three panels I had cut from white card stock, forming masks.

I next carefully sponged on distress ink in two shades of blue (Tumbled Glass and Faded Jeans) near the top and center of each panel, and in Peeled Paint green near the bottom of each panel, being careful not to disturb the masks.

I carefully removed the masks, and set the panels aside. Once completely dry, I trimmed them and mounted them to white panels.

I made a mat layer by using DTP with the faded jeans ink pad, and spritzing lightly with water with Pearl Perfect Pearls in it.

I mounted a navy blue layer to my card, and the mat layer onto the navy blue layer. I then mounted my three panels to the mat layer.

I stamped my saying, trimmed it, and used a corner rounder to round the corners. I mounted it to a rectangle of mat created the same way I did the bigger layer, and rounded those corners. I then mounted the whole saying piece to the card with foam dots.

Lastly, I added some dots of white with a Viva Pearl Pen to the centers of some of my flowers and randomly along the vine, and set the card aside to dry.

It is now on its way to someone who could use a few words of support.

Smiles,
Kathy


Products Used:

No comments:

Post a Comment