Saturday, June 13, 2020

Ocean View

Ocean View
by Kathy Berger

There are many dies in the June 2020 die release that I really love. My favorite, though, is the Lighthouse and Sailboats die set I used to make this card. When I drew the dies I had a card like this one in my mind's eye andI couldn't wait to make it!

To make the card I blended some clouds using Tumbled Glass distress ink and the Scene Builder Stencils (FRA-STN-011). I then masked the cloud area, and using the hilly sidde of the Scene Builder Stencil and Faded Jeans distress ink I created a bit of wavy ocean.

Next I tore light Kraft cardstock to make 6 layers of sand dune hills. I used copic markers to create shadows behind each layer, and I added some beach grass from the Shoreline Grass die set (FRA-DIE-09880).

I added the lighthouse to the top of the hills, and two sail boats to the ocean. I also added the pampas grass and beach fence to the card. For some reason, though, The card just seemed unbalanced, and also a bit lifeless. To fix that I decided I needed to add something to the lower left of the card, and adding kids building a sand castle seemed to me the perfect way to fix both problems at once.

I carefully cut the kids building the sandcastle and the seagull from the Sancastles on the Beach card panel. I colored the kids with Copic markers, and then added them to the lower left of the card. I added teh seagull to the sky.

Something was still missing, though. The panel I had built was full A2 size, and when added to the card front, it just felt unfinished. I decided what it needed was a frame. I dug out my small strips of craft wood and my miter cutter and in minutes I had built a simple mitered frame. I painted it with a wash of white, then when dry, dry-brushed some gray paint on it. I glued it to the card front. Even though it covers part of the lighthouse and put the seagull right on the edge of the frame, I liked really liked the beachy feel the frame provided.

This card was not a quick and easy one, to be sure. There were hours of work involved, but every minute of the work was enjoyable and relaxing. After all, isn't being creative what this hobby of ours is all about? I greatly enjoyed making this card, and I hope you have enjoyed seeing it and learning a bit about how I made it.

Until the next time,
Kathy


*** Materials for this project available at www.franticstamper.com.

 
FRA-Die-10841
 
FRA-Die-09880
 
FRA-Die-09502
 
FRA-STN-011

No comments:

Post a Comment