Thursday, June 18, 2020

Shell Greetings



Shell Greetings
by Kathy Berger

Today I am here to share a small card with big impact. The card only measures 3.5" round, but it packs a lot of wow into that little space! It shimmers and shines pretty much everywhere thanks to some really cool a pearlescent water colors from Yasutomo and some glitter from a Wink of Stella brush pen.

To make the base for this card I cut three 3.5" scalloped circles out of blue card stock. I diecut the new from one, and then used one of the blue pearlescent colors to add shimmer to it and one more of the scalloped circles. The third scallop circle i scored at 1/4" and 1 3/4", making sure the two scores were parallel. On the first score line I valley folded, and on the second I mountain folded. I then affixed the back scalloped circle with the current lines to the front of the folded circle ONLY in the area from the 1 3/4" fold to the far edge, taking care to line up the scallops. Finally, I glued the back of the folded card to the final scalloped circle ONLY in the area between the 1/4" score and the near edge, taking care to line up the scallops.

Next I cut two of the new Scallop Shell from white card stock. I watercolored both with the pearlescent paint, making sure that the color was very light and used the colors commonly seen in mother of pearl. While they were both still damp I lightly curled up the edges of each shell to give them dimension, and then I set them aside to finish drying.

While the shells were drying, I diecut and colored the sea horse from the Sea Creatures Icons die set, each of the Ocean Floor Icons set, both dies in the Seaweed & Anemone die set, and both of the dies in the Stag & Pipe coral die set.

I adhered one of the scallop shells to the front of the card mechanism, right at the bottom edge of the scalloped circle. I then added some of the diecut and colored elements to the shell and the scalloped circle to decorate both. I added a small sheer white bow to the bottom edge, at an angle.

I stamped my greeting on the remaining scallop shell, upside down. I then adhered the shell to the inside of the back of the mechanism, also upside down, and about 1/4" from the fold edge. I finished things off with the remaining Ocean Floor Icons, and with a large flat-bottomed pearl. The pearl acts as the stop for this tiny easle card, and isn't it appropriate to have in a shell?

I hope you liked today's tiny card!



*** Materials for this project available at www.franticstamper.com.
 
FRA-Die-10649
 
FRA-Die-10839
 
FRA-Die-10845
 
FRA-Die-10240
 
FRA-Die-10241
 
FRA-Die-09506

1 comment: