Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Mother and Child (Kathy Berger)




Mother and Child
by Kathy Berger



When I was growing up my mom worked outside the home, putting in 40 or more hours every week doing various factory worker jobs. Mom was so incredibly busy and had little time left after the cooking and cleaning, the laundry and ironing, and all the extras she had to do to take care of me and my three brothers. But she always found time to make me and each of my siblings feel special and loved.

When I was drawing the image for this die (based on a paper-cutting pattern), and later when designing this card, I reflected on how much Mom lifted me up, emotionally and spiritually, as I was growing up. She was always there for me, and most of my success in life is due to her providing that boost whenever I needed it.

This card is dedicated to Mom, who turned 87 today.

To make the card I cut the Mother and Child panel out of red card-stock, light blue card-stock, and white craft foam. I glued the light blue panel to the craft foam panel using Tombow MonoAdhesive. I reserved ONLY the hearts cut out from the red panel, and pieced them into the heart holes in the blue panel. I then glued the whole panel to a piece of coordinating floral card stock, which, in turn, I layered onto a slightly darker blue card-stock panel. I then affixed it all to an embossed white panel (Anna Griffin), to another darker blue panel, and finally to a white 5"x7" card. I finished the card off with a bow made from 3/4" wide red grosgrain ribbon.



*** Materials for this project available at www.franticstamper.com.

Frantic Stamper Dies Used:

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to your mom. Love the card and all the layers. Took me a minute to figure it out. For some reason I saw the floral paper on top. Imagine that. Great card. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, I saw the same optical illusion you saw. Then I read the description and scrolled back to the picture and voila, it popped up correctly. Our brains do strange things sometimes. I couldn't figure out how Kathy did the "debossed" look..... but it was just my eyes playing a trick.

      For those of you who don't know what Pam and I are talking about, just ignore us. LOL!! our brains saw the card in reverse and it looked like the floral patterns was raised. Just a shadow trick. Now that my brain knows what it's really supposed to look like, I can only see it in the correct way. I can't even make myself see it reversed again.

      Love this card!! Love this die!!! Ladies, look for more of this style of design from Kathy. She's drawing up some wonderful scene dies like this for upcoming releases!!

      Delete
  2. Hope your mom has a happy birthday and I'm sure she'll enjoy the card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exquisite card! Happy Birthday to your Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful tribute to your mom! Hope she had a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Kathy, Happy Birthday to your mum!

    ReplyDelete